FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning. Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:

  1. Headaches
  2. Nausea
  3. Breathlessness
  4. Collapse
  5. Dizziness
  6. Loss of consciousness

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.

Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Your symptoms only occur when you are at home
  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
  • Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time
  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
    • Great Britain: 0800 111 999
    • Guernsey: 01481 749000
    • Isle of Man: 0808 1624 444
    • Northern Ireland: 0800 002 001
  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer (all of our engineers are Gas Safe registered) to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem

Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

  • Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.
  • When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
  • Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.

Your home may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home. Get your gas appliances checked to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • The flame on your cooker, fire or boiler should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your appliances checked
  • Soot or dark staining around or on appliances
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • Increased condensation inside windows

If you have a faulty appliance in your home, it could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. Get it checked as soon as possible by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

It is recommended to have your boiler serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer, then ensures your boiler is running efficiently and the gas safe registered engineer will check for any leaks.

Reviews From Our Amazing Customers

5/5

4.9 Based on over 100 Reviews

Thermostatic Valves Fitted
Read More
Lee fitted 5 thermostatic valves for my radiators this morning and I would highly recommend for any future work. Lee is very polite, responds to messages/emails in a timely manner and turned up on time and left no mess behind. His rates are also extremely reasonable. Would happily use again.
Natalie Mcgettrick
Read More
We had Pierson Heating our to service our boiler and we were very happy with the service offered - would highly recommend.
Sarah Hüttmann
Read More
Thank to Lee for all the valuable advise he has given us regarding our new flat. And of course for the installation of the new radiators. We couldn't be happier!
Heating and Plumbing Maintenance
Read More
Lee Pierson is a very nice, helpful and competent Heating Engineer. He is very quick to respond, by phone, text, e-mail and in person to any queries or problems. His rates are very reasonable and he lets you know in advance what a job entails and the overall price. We would recommend him and his work to anyone.
Christian Collings
Read More
Ive used pierson heating twice now, first time was a simple heating problem and he charged me very fairly as it only took him 5 mins to fix. second time was for an incredibly comprehensive safety check on all my gas appliances and to fit a thermostat. fair price and an honest technician. as a landlord and on my personal property i couldn't give a higher recommendation
Peter Boorman
Read More
One of my radiators sprung a leak just before Christmas. Lee came and gave a very reasonable quote, and then installed a new radiator at short notice. Very professional and very competitive. I would definitely use this company again.
Previous
Next